No matter how on-point you think you are at maintaining the health and appearance of the skin on your face, you will never be as capable as someone that does it for a living. Which is why you need to bring your mug in for a tune-up with a licensed professional. Should you need further convincing take it from the experts below.
This post may have affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission on purchases through the links (at no extra cost to you). This does not change our opinion but does help support the site. Thank you!
Why Should Men Get a Facial?
Facials means more than just clean pores for men says Joanna Vargas, celebrity facialist and founder of her eponymous spa and skincare line. “They mean less irritation from shaving, less ingrown hairs and less breakouts. Your skin is your biggest organ and should be taken care of. Any one of my facials are appropriate for guys, but I’d recommend The Oxygen Purifying Facial, which uses medical-grade oxygen to plump and the hydrate the skin. It gently erases dull skin and fine lines leavings skin silky smooth with a renewed radiance. The facial also improves clarity, texture and tone with regular treatments.”
What Skin Problems Are Facials Best For?
Celebrity facialist and RealSelf contributor, Graceanne Svendsen narrows in on what you can expect from your facial. “In terms of expectation during a facial, men are in the unique position of having certain skin challenges. They obviously cannot camouflage their skin, and shaving can cause folliculitis.
I also feel like there is a bit of a reverse sexism in that men are not as encouraged to care for their skin as women are. Place lower societal expectations on the fellas and no wonder most men don’t consider facials! That being said, I have had a loyal following of men needing and wanting to clean their pores, minimize oiliness, and improve texture and tone.
All skin types can benefit from a facial, including sensitive, oily, acneic and mature skin. I do my male patients facials with a little more exfoliation and massage, with emphasis on gentle extractions (when tolerated!)
How Often Should You Get Facials?
Unfortunately for most of us, time and time and money are limited. How often do we really need to get a facial? Svendsen answers, “once monthly is important to stimulate dead skin exfoliation and new collagen development. At the very least, quarterly when the weather changes.”
When Should You Start Getting Facials?
Men should start getting facials in their 20’s recommends esthetician and Dermovia Lace Your Face co-founder Anita Sun. “During a recent TV interview, the editor told me that he wished he would have started at a younger age re: being consistent with his facials and skin care. I wish more men would start at a younger age taking pride and care of their skin!”
Should You Ever NOT Get a Facial?
For all the benefits of facials, there are times when it might not be the best solution. Sun explains, “Men often have heavily clogged pores from constant sweat build up due to their active lifestyle/sports. They struggle with oily, cystic acne, sensitivity (redness), sun-damage/aging and irritated skin (eliminating ingrown hairs from shaving). I wouldn’t recommend a facial if there is an open wound (inflammation of the pores/skin) from shaving. Definitely wait until the cut or inflammation subsides before getting a facial. Try to grow out your facial hairs for a day or two (when facial hairs break through the skin’s surface) before getting a facial so the professional can better clean the pores.”
What Happens During a Facial?
Knowing the benefits is one thing, but what should guys expect when they show up for a facial? I asked Vance Soto of the Ole Henriksen Spa in West Hollywood to walk me through their standard facial procedure.
1. Consultation The consultation is extremely important. We help you to achieve your skin care goals, address your concerns, identify contraindications, allergies, and get to know you! We love to hear about your personal life and get to know our clients.
2. Inhalation breathing Say “spa-aaaaah” and inhale. The sense of smell is so important to relax the body and mind. It’s proven the inhalation benefits of essential oils to relax the brain.
3. Double cleanse Mixture of multiple cleansers.
4. Facial mist Toner to help pH balance the skin.
5. Face, neck and shoulder massage We use a proprietary blend of lavender complexion oils to relax the body, release tension, but also to prep the skin for extractions – my favorite part!
6. Extractions Here we get rid of all those blackheads, breakouts, and whiteheads.
7. Lymphatic drainage Not only do we use manual lymphatic drainage to decongest and for any puffiness but we also use special equipment unique to our spa – it’s relaxing!
8. Peel and Exfoliation We choose the one best suited for your skin – don’t worry it doesn’t necessarily mean you will actually peel but exfoliation is key to glowing skin.
9. Mask + Cold/Hot Therapy Hot and cold therapy allows for better absorption of the antioxidants into the skin plus helps to close the pores and reduce any redness.
10. Serum and Soundwave therapy Soundwave therapy is light vibrations on the skin to stimulate and oxygenate the skin and our serum of choice to treat the skin.
11. Moisturizer To hydrate the skin.
12. SPF Always wear SPF – most of the sun damage we receive happens before the age of 25 so always wear your SPF!
13. Eye Crème Crow’s feet around the eyes are never in.
14. Lip Moisturizer Plump, hydrated, and beautiful lips are always in.
Facials are THE Grooming Trend for Men
Ange Picone, National Director of Education at 18|8 Fine Men’s Salons says they announced in their 2018 Style Predictions, that the men’s service of choice would focus on skin care and facials. “Our 18|8 experts scanned the globe for indicators, they noted that the beard movement will be making way to a shorter sexy stubble, leaving the face more exposed to the elements. With that being said, we recommend having a skin care routine in place that will cleanse, scrub, exfoliate, tone, moisturize and protect.”
Can I Do a Facial At Home?
Picone suggests this 6 step regimen for your own at-home facial, ”Our product choices all come from Anthony Brands, a leader in skin care products designed for men.
Start with the Glycolic Facial Cleanser to remove excess oil and dirt, follow with the Facial Scrub to remove dead and dry skin cells, next the Purifying Astringent Pads will tone the skin and prepare it for the repairing energy of the Vitamin A Hydrating Lotion.
Using the Continuous Moisture Eye Cream will hydrate the eye area and remove fine lines and as a final step, we recommend using the Day Cream with SPF 30 to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. If your skin is dry or sensitive replace the Glycolic Facial Cleanser with the Algae Facial Cleanser.”
It’s time to let a professional have their way with your face guys, because in today’s world, real men get facials.