Candles do more than just set a romantic mood. And one of the best manly indulgence candles can also clear the air and enhance the atmosphere in a room.
This post may have affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission on purchases through the links (at no extra cost to you). This does not change our opinion but does help support the site. Thank you!
There are some scented candles that can be considered more manly, or masculine, than others. And thankfully not all of them have to smell like pine.
After our top picks on manly indulgence candles, we take you through choosing the right one, wax varieties, why you might choose one over the other, the cost factor, and tips on burning them efficiently.
15 Best Candles for Men
It’s tough to pinpoint or describe what makes a scent masculine. But there are some things that men just prefer, generally speaking. These are the most popular scents that men are typically drawn to and enjoy.
1. Best Gift Set: Fernweh Editions Travel Sets
If you’re looking for a gift candle with a bit of a twist, check out Fernweh Edition‘s scent journeys. They use place-specific scents that you can either enjoy as a stand-alone candle or purchase a 3-candle gift set which will take you on a mini-tour of a region.
From a hike in the misty mountains of Cascadia to an escape the lush islands of the South Pacific or culinary tour of France, it’s a perfect gift for both frequent fliers and armchair travelers alike. All candles come in both 6oz travel and 11oz at-home sizes and are hand-poured in the US of clean-burning soy wax blend.
2. Best Leather Scented Candle
It doesn’t just smell like straight leather. Within this Molton Brown Russian Leather candle is a delicate combination of rugged scents such as elemi, black tea and purple basil with Siberian pine, tobacco, and birch mixed in. This is a sophisticated candle that emits intensity and depth.
2. Best Coffee Scented Candle
If your man enjoys a hot cup of coffee, then this candle from Slow North is the best one on the market. It’s a soy candle made with nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove essential oils for a perfect blend that will remind him of his favorite coffee house.
These are soy-wax manly indulgence candles. Available in an 8-ounce tumbler with a cork lid.
3. Best Lavender Scented Candle
The third scent that most men enjoy is lavender because it is so relaxing and encourages a peaceful state of mind. The best lavender scented candle for men is the incense lavender one from Compagnie de Provence. Not only is the packaging perfectly gender neutral, but the scent is too. It isn’t too overly floral like most lavender ones. Instead it has woodsy undertones that give it depth and a very pleasant smell.
These are made with cotton oil and a cotton wick. Available in a 6.7-ounce size with a burn time of about 45 hours.
4. Best Pine Scented Candle
One scent that is universally associated with masculinity is pine. Maybe it’s the lumberjack image. Maybe it’s the outdoors. But for whatever reason, men enjoy pine-scented things. And the best pine candle that isn’t too overpowering is from Scandinavia.
The Skog scented candle smells like you are waking up around misty spruce trees near the arctic circle. It’s refreshing and invigorating.
These are made from a combination of vegetable waxes. Available in 6.5-ounce tumblers with a 45 hour burn time.
5. Best Vanilla Candle
Vanilla is another crowd-pleasing aroma. But you have to find one that burns clean and doesn’t smell like perfume.
The Paddywax scented candle infuses tobacco with vanilla so it isn’t too sweet and has the perfect balance of high and low notes.
It’s from the Hygge collection and invokes coziness and warmth.
These are made with a soy wax blend and sold in 15-ounce size with two cotton wicks.
6. Best Marine Candle
Both the sharp sea air and the soft scent of the ocean are all around this Marine fragranced candle by LAFCO. A bergamot undertone mingles with salty breezes delivering sea jasmine, rose, and cyclamen. Along with vetiver and sea moss, fresh rhubarb creates the textural atmosphere of a sandy shore.
This is made with a soy wax blend in a 30-ounce candle. It has a 120-minute burn time.
7. Best Bacon & Bourbon Candle
A man’s scented candle list isn’t complete without adding bourbon and bacon. And wouldn’t you know there is a candle with these exact scents mixed to perfection?
This hand-poured candle from the Silver Dollar Candle Company is amazing! It has sweet notes of maple glaze with the tantalizing aroma of bacon and the darker notes of rich bourbon. It’s a very memorable gift idea.
These are made from soy wax. They are available in the following sizes and burn times:
- 16oz: Approx. 80-100+ Hours
- 8oz: Approx. 40-50+ Hours
Best Candle Scents by Season
Another fun thing about candles are all the seasonal scents that come out. To round out our list of manly indulgence candles, we picked one candle for each season.
8. Light Summer Candle
The beginning of summertime is when the nights get longer and the times with friends around the campfire start to happen more frequently.
The Ritual of Karma Scented Candle features the sweetness of holy lotus with popular delicacy of white tea.
It’s the perfect way to welcome summer evenings and sunsets.
This is a 10.2-ounce candle with a 50-hour burn time.
9. Cozy Fall Candle
Of course for fall we had to find the perfect pumpkin candle. But this isn’t just a basic pumpkin spice scent.
The NEST pumpkin candle combines the sweetness of wild pumpkin with the earthy spice of masala chai.
It doesn’t quite smell like pumpkin pie. It’s more like a warm crackling fire and a cozy pumpkin tea simmering on the stove.
This is an 8-ounce votive made out of premium, soft, highly refined, cosmetic-grade wax with a 50-60 hour burn time.
10. Best Christmas Scented Candle
Most Christmas scents are peppermint or gingerbread. But the Wax and Wick candle actually smells like mulled cider with hints of caramel.
This candle has a fresh, woodsy smell. It’s a very popular one with both genders because it has spicy notes of amber and sandalwood with the sweetness of caramel and vanilla.
This 12-ounce jar candle is made out of 100% soy wax. It has a burn time of 60 hours.
11. Best Winter Candle
Winter is all about getting cozy by the fire, maybe even with a glass of something warming – like Kentucky Whiskey.
The Northern Lights candle brings thoughts of wood-aged distilleries. This candle is all “smoking jackets and cigar” vibes and you will no doubt love the ginger and sweet tonka bean fragrance.
This corked 5-ounce candle will certainly soothe you.
Best Manly Indulgence Candles by Purpose
Finally, there are different uses for candles too. So if you or your man need a candle for a specific purpose, look for these manly indulgence candles first.
12. Best Aromatherapy Candle
Aromatherapy has proven benefits for mood and emotions. When you are buying a candle that will enhance thoughts and feelings, always go to Aromatherapy Associates. They are experts in the field. Their candles are extremely effective and pure.
The Deep Relax Candle has a pure essential oil blend of naturally-sedating vetivert, soothing camomile & comforting sandalwood. This combination clears your mind and grounds you, giving you a sense of well-being and calm.
This candle is 7.05 ounces. It is a natural wax candle with a 40-hour burn time.
13. Best Candles for Sleep
When it is time to unwind and sleep, the Deep Sleep Heavenly candle from This Works is extremely effective.
This Works combined the most calming essential oils into one candle. They used both lavender and chamomile. The result will provide inner peace and help the day melt away.
This is a 7.7-ounce candle will last for about 40 hours.
15. Travel Candle Set
The last of the manly indulgence candles come from a company that values all natural products and being kind to the environment. Buckler’s Remedy started in 2010 selling lotion. Today they are known for their all-natural and nutrient-rich products.
Their travel tin candle pack comes with 3 candles.
- Black Currant
- White Pomelo
- Tomato leaf
They are perfect for hotel rooms, bathrooms, and the office made out of 100% soy wax.
Choosing the Right Candle
There are so many different types of candles out there, so which are the best ones for men? Before we go into the best scents, let’s look at the types of manly indulgence candles. Each type of candle has a different purpose, it’s important to pick out the one that is the best fit for your life.
Types of Candles
If you have ever wondered what the different types of candles are, here is a quick guide explaining them. Some candles will last longer than others – it all depends on their size and purpose.
- Votive: Typically a few inches tall, these are small candles that need to be put inside votive candle holders. They are wonderful for small spaces and produce a light scent.
- Tealights: These are even smaller than votive candles. They are usually only about an inch or so tall. These have a very short burn time and are best for decor accents.
- Floating Candles: These are the same size as tea lights. The only difference is that they are able to float in a shallow bowl of water. These create an ambiance of relaxation.
- 3-Wick: These candles produce a lot of light and are heavily scented. They are wonderful if you want to fill a room with a specific smell.
- Travel: These are packaged in tins with lids and are the perfect size to pass TSA carry-on requirements. If you want something to help your hotel room smell and feel more like home, you’ll need a travel candle or two.
- Pillar: Pillar candles have the longest burn time. These are really fantastic to keep for light up a room or setting a romantic mood.
- Taper: These are long, cylindrical candles that sit inside candleholders. You’ll typically see them used in home decor or religious settings.
Types of Candle Wax
Now that you know the candle design, you’ll have to choose the type of wax. There are 5 main types of wax candles. Here’s more about them and how to choose the best one for you.
As you can tell from the name, these candles are made from harvesting wax that worker bees use to create a hive. It is created entirely by the bees and used to store their honey.
Pros of Beeswax Candles:
- All-Natural – it is non-hazardous and non-carcinogenic
- Dyes are not tested on animals
- Does not contain hazardous additives such as naphtha or naphthalene
- Can be shipped in all weather conditions because of its high melt point
Cons of Beeswax Candles:
- Higher price-point
- Might be combined with other waxes in candles
Soy Candle Wax
Soy candles are made from the wax of soybeans. Soy wax candles are enjoyed because they are made from a renewable resource and are completely natural.
Pros of Soy Wax Candles:
- No known toxins in the raw wax
- Low melt temperature
Cons of Soy Wax Candles:
- Soy products are commonly Genetically Modified, bleached and hydrogenated
- Soy wax candles often develop bumps while burning
- Soy candles have a cooler tone
- Soy wax goes rancid without preservatives
- Some soy wax candles contain additives and hardeners
- Toxic pesticides are often used on soy crops
Coconut Candle Wax
Coconut candles are made from coconut oil. This is another renewable, all-natural ingredient. But, due to the low melting point of coconut oil, it has to be mixed with other waxes when it is used in candles.
Pros of Coconut Candles:
- Emits scents well
- Creamy texture
- Great burn time
- Clean burning
Cons of Coconut Candles:
- Must be mixed with another wax (which could have questionable ingredients)
- Often requires hardeners
- More expensive
Paraffin Candle Wax
Paraffin is one of the oldest types of wax used in candles. It’s a petroleum by-product. So there is recent discussion questioning the health effects of breathing it in after it burns. However, it is also one of the least expensive types of waxes used for candles.
Pros of Paraffin Candles:
- Long burn time
- Carries scent well
- Low cost
- Clean burning
Cons of Paraffin Candles:
- Paraffin candles are known to drip
- A by-product of fossil fuels
- Polymers are added to raise the melting point and improve burning qualities
Palm Candle Wax
Palm wax is made by harvesting and processing palm leaves. Since it a natural and renewable resource, it’s sprung up in popularity recently.
Pros of Palm Wax Candles:
- Palm crops require a lower input of fossil fuels compared to soy
- Clean burning and soot free
- Toxin and carcinogen free
- Slow burning
- Renewable resource
- Not genetically modified
Cons of Palm Wax Candles:
- Must be imported
- Pesticides are often used for palm plants
- Some animals are being misplaced of their natural habitat due to palm tree felling
- Can’t be responsibly farmed
Why do candles cost so much?
When you go candle shopping, what does the price even mean? Some candles will cost a lot more than others.
There are a few things that affect the price point of luxury candles vs cheap candles. The main things that will influence a candle’s cost are:
- Quality essential oils (not synthetics) that can burn clean
- A higher concentration of oils than in most fragrances
- Creating complex, unique scents
- Long-burning wax (candle burn time)
- Better quality packaging
Tips on Burning Candles
Please practice candle safety. If you leave candles unattended or burn them carelessly, you risk creating a house fire.
These are the most important fire-safety tips when you burn candles:
- Do not leave burning candles unattended.
- Trimming the wick will make your candle burn more evenly. Trim it before your first burn and every time you relight.
- To prolong the life of your candle, let it burn long enough (2-3 hours) that the wax is evenly melted.
- Avoid placing your candle in a breeze or draught, as this will make the wax burn unevenly.
- Direct sunlight can affect the scent of the essential oils as well as melt the wax.
Masculine Candle Scents
Candles can be a very thoughtful gift for men, especially if you know what scents he already enjoys. While it might seem like a challenge to find the perfect one, if you put in the time, he will appreciate the gift so much more.
Some candles are made with men in mind. These manly indulgence candles exude strength, musk, and include a little bit of tender spice.